Monday, August 2, 2010

'awesome' and 'epic' are overused.

It is. The word 'awesome' is SO overused. This food is awesome. You're awesome. That shirt is AWESOME!!

Awesome means terrifying in majesty, or something along those lines. I doubt a shirt can TERRIFY you with its majesty.

There are many other words that are overused but awesome is probably the most overused.

Another one is 'epic'.

*bob trips over chair and spills his glass of water all over the floor*
OH SHIT DUDE!! EPIC FAY-ILL (emphasis on both syllables in fail).

That's not epic fail at all. It would've been funny to watch but that's not epic fail. He merely tripped over and spilt water. WATER. That can just wash off the floor. No. It will DRY up. Pfft.

Epic comes from the greek word, 'epicon'. It means something along the lines as greater in power and/or size. Quality or quantity or both, I don't know. But just generally greater than normal.

Not saying I dislike people that overuse them, I do it too. It is the consequences of such actions that bother me. When people just make a slight audible but meaningless noise originating from their throat and finally say, 'I...I don't know what to say.' or 'Words cannot DESCRIBE this song/crime/day/whatever.'

Words CAN describe it. You've just abused words' meanings for pointless things such as an above average tasting cake describing it as orgasmic. It is NOT orgasmic, you SO did not just orgasm and if you did, my respect for you has risen.

Yeah. Peace.

More blogging....

No comments:

Post a Comment